NPL Round 11 vs Emerging Jets

June 1st, 2016

Sunday 29th May 2016
Speers Point

Under 13s

The seemingly endless summer gave way to a chill wind, particularly for the Emerging Jets, as FMNC came out strongly in the first 10 minutes. But as often happens, the opposition scored an early goal against the run of play to send the Jets up 1-0.

With no reserves, FMNC needed to make sure the Emerging Jets didn’t extend their lead. The best back line in the competition did their job brilliantly and closed down everything the Jets threw at them. The two Angus’s then combined, with Angus Bear sending a perfect ball through to Angus Robertson to “nutty” the keeper and send the teams to the break all even at 1-1.

The second half kicked off at a cracking pace, with Luke Townsend and Mason Moore teaming up to create some great chances down the left side of the field. All the pressure was on the Jets, and they finally cracked when Flynn Parker had a great shot at goal that deflected off one of the Jets players and was then pounced on by FMNC to score our second goal for the game.

FMNC dominated the next stanza, culminating in Mason heading in a well weighted corner like a pro for a well-deserved goal to put FMNC ahead 3-1. The FMNC section of the crowd were finally starting to relax with bold predictions from the parents that it would be hard to lose from here. But then, disaster struck. Zeb Watts made a strong darting run and looked like scoring, but had a heavy clash with the keeper and was carried off the field.

With FMNC starting to tire, the Jets took advantage of having four reserves and fresher legs, and started to create chances in an intense last ten minutes. FMNCs goalie Isaac Parkinson came up with two of the best diving saves of the season to ensure the Jets didn’t add to their tally.

Disaster struck again in the dying minutes with Luke Townsend carried off the field clutching his achilles tendon. For FMNC every player gave all they had and showed amazing courage and determination to hang in for great win to take them to the top of the table.

Final score 3-1 to FMNC.

– Match Report by Marcus Robertson.


Under 14s

After a run of home games, FMNC 14’s were faced with a trip to Newcastle to take on the Newcastle Jets at the LMRFF. Although being top of the table and undefeated, the 14’s knew that this was a crunch game and were going up against their bogey team.

FMNC started the first half with some good pressing and ball possession. Then after the 10 minute mark, in what was their only real chance of the half, a goal against the run of play was slotted in the top right corner leaving no chance for the ever alert Keegan in goals. FMNC 0  Jets 1. This lifted Newcastle into gear, who then had a sustained period of domination. In saying that, FMNC had opportunities but did not take advantage of them.

Half time came and this gave an opportunity to reflect and collect themselves.

The second half started as the first with FMNC dominating play again, executing a lot better and finding feet with passes. Throughout the half, this continued, which created opportunities in front of goal but these weren’t capitalised on. Both keepers were called upon to make important saves.

With 10 minutes to go a tactical change was made which saw the game open right up going from end to end but unfortunately yielded no results.

In a challenging game that was a stop start affair due to an above average amount of free kicks, FMNC just couldn’t find their groove and build pressure. The score finished 1-0 to the Newcastle Jets and handed FMNC their first loss of the campaign.

Still top of the table, they take on the second placed Broadmeadow Magic this Sunday at Wayne Richards Park in what is to be another crucial game.

Final score 1-0 to Emerging Jets.

– Match Report by Corey Walton.


Under 15s

Sunday saw FMNC travel to Speers Point to take on the Emerging Jets. With The Jets having only lost one game way back in the first round and FMNC having no losses so far, it was always going to be a tight game.

The pace of the game was fast from the first whistle to the last. After the first 10 minutes (which was fairly even), the Jets started to get on top with some quick passing and forward runs, from which they created a chance and scored.


FMNC broke down again 5 minutes later to let in an easy goal to give the Jets a nice lead.


Just before half time Lachlan Clacher drove into the box out wide and crossed the ball which ended up going into the goal.

Half time FMNC 1-2 JETS

The second half carried on from the first at a very fast pace. FMNC equalised early from a Sol Ferguson corner which ended up curling straight into the goal.


About 10 minutes later FMNC gave the ball away on the edge of the box which allowed a Jets player to ghost past a couple of players and score.


FMNC pushed players forward for the rest of the game but couldn’t equalise. A fair result on the day with the Jets being the slightly better team on the day.

Final score 3-2 to the Jets.

Under 17s

The FMNC 17’s knew they would be up against a quality opposition who made the headlines earlier in the week for towelling up the Matilda’s training squad!

FMNC started with good discipline, for long periods without the ball denying the Jets goal scoring opportunities. Eventually the mass of possession prevailed in the 20th minute with 1-0 EJ up.

In the 28th minute a ball played through from the FMNC midfield was received by Logan Palmer who went 1v1 with the keeper. The deflected shot was cleaned up by Mitchell Lewis scoring to equalise 1-1. In the 33rd minute a low shot from EJ tight to the near post squeezed between the post and keeper to put the Jets back in front 2-1. At 34 minutes the FMNC boys were a bit scattered, with EJ pressure forcing a turnover between half way and the FMNC 18 yard box, and subsequently scoring again to go up 3-1. In the 36th minute after an FMNC attacking corner we were caught out in transition for the Jets to take possession of the ball to score for the 3rd time in a matter of minutes.

Half-time 4-1 Jets.

During the 2nd half FMNC regrouped (as they have proved they can) to hold the last half of the game scoreless which was a gutsy effort. Heads up lads – a tad better than 7-0. Sorry girls!!

Final score 4-1 to the Jets.

Related Topics:

More News


Sam Stewart named Football Mid North Coast’s Newcastle Permanent Community Referee of the Year
Northern NSW Football is pleased to announce Sam Stewart as Football Mid North… [more]
Craig Bulmer named Football Mid North Coast’s Newcastle Permanent Community Coach of the Year
Northern NSW Football is pleased to announce Craig Bulmer as Football Mid North… [more]
Craig White named Football Mid North Coast’s Newcastle Permanent Volunteer of the Year
Northern NSW Football is pleased to announce Craig White as Football Mid North… [more]

Around The Clubs

A guide to holding your club’s AGM during the pandemic
With many clubs preparing to bring their 2021 season to a close with their… [more]
2021 Champion of Champions tournament cancelled
Northern NSW Football is disappointed to announce that the 2021 Champion of… [more]
Expressions of interest open for 2021-22 Summer Football
Expressions of interest are now open for affiliated clubs looking to implement… [more]

MORE NEWS (click for all news articles)

NNSWF_2017_Shield_Ncle Perm_Community Football_v2-01

NNSWF_2017_Shield_Ncle Perm_Community Football_v2-01

Major Sponsors